Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday Morning (Day 1 of Convention)

Good morning family. Let me start this message by paying tribute to someone who I consider to be a true friend, Senator Jim Brochen. I've known him long before his days as a state representative but I can truly say that his encouragement and prodding me to get more involved is the reason that I am here in Denver. We disagree on many things politically, strongly I might add, but I respect his integrity as a person and his willingness to say to me, "if you don't like it, change it."

I just left the breakfast gathering hosted by Governor O'Malley. Former presidential aspirant Gary Hart was a speaker among others. Once again, Congressman Cummings brought the house down with an inspiring speech. The highlight of my morning was an opportunity to meet and converse with Wayne Curry, former P.G. County Executive. Will say more about that later. I'm off now to the Convention Center for Black Caucus meeting. Don't know what to expect but will fill you guys in later.

Until then, remember that All great minds think for themselves, question what you know, and be the change you want!

Peace,
Kwame

3 comments:

Jeffersonlady said...

Kwame, Thanks for the update, we appreciate having this "inside track" to the convention. I've been glued to the TV all day watching the excitement, mostly on C-Span and MSNBC. I know Aunt Vashti is watching also. This morning I watched a panel with Tavis Smiley, Doug Wilder, Jesse Jackson, Jr., Cornel West and Cong. Clyburn. Tavis and West were concerned that Obama wasn't addressing "Black concerns", the rest were saying that he is running to be the President of the entire U.S. I agree with Jesse, Wilder and Clyburn. Looking forward to the line up tonight. Thanks again for the detailed reports. I can't wait for the next one.

Have fun, Ronnie

Sandy W. said...

Kwame,

Congratulations on your selection to the DNC. My name is Sandy Wallace (a distant cousin). You don’t know me, but I met your grandmother Margaret and other relatives at the 2008 Jefferson/Bray Reunion.

Your accomplishments speak volumes and we are so very proud of you. I look forward to your updates.

Thanks,
Sandy Wallace
Chesapeake, Va.

Ladysmith said...

Kwame, thanks for the update on the activities there in Denver. I was glued to my tv set last night as Michelle Obama and Senator Kennedy made their outstanding speeches. The excitement was definitely in the air and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. This historical political experience will stay with you for a life time. I look forward to your next installment.

Take care, Love Cousin Jackie